Ungating Amazon Seller Categories
Indeed, there have been many discussions among sellers about Amazon’s gated categories, both pro and con. Some consider them treasured goldmines, while others feel that the hassle of getting selling approval is too much.
The truth is, no matter which side of the discussion you are on, the advantages of selling these gated products on Amazon are undeniable.
They are restricted, so not all sellers can put these products in their catalogs. For this reason, the products have less competition and more demand. For those two reasons alone, success in ungating Amazon categories is a huge bonus!
It’s no wonder many sellers actively search for ways to overcome these restrictions. As a result, this article looks at the gating process, and offers the best tips on ungating the most competitive Amazon categories.
But first of all, let us look at some of these gated categories.
Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
Why Are Categories Gated On Amazon?
There are different reasons why different products might be restricted on Amazon.
- One of the major reasons is that a popular brand produces the product and they want to protect their image, as well as, limit sales by outsiders.
Therefore, you might find that Nike Boots, for example, are gated, but boots by another brand or a private label are not gated.
- Another reason Amazon gates certain categories is because they want to reduce the flow of counterfeit products into the platform.
Thus, Amazon gates these categories to not only to protect existing brands sell, but also, to maximize customer service. They want to ensure they are no a conduit to bad players.
How To Ungate Brands On Amazon
It’s not always the easiest to get ungated when you haven’t done it before. There are many obstacles to overcome and simple errors on paperwork can cause serious delays in your application.
That is one of the reasons, it you be a good idea for you to talk to us and let us help you with the process.
Just to give you an idea of some of the steps involved, here are a few to understand.
- You must have an Amazon professional seller account. It must be in good standing and all monthly fees paid up.
- It would also be advantageous if you already had good performance metrics as a seller on Amazon. These metrics include an order defect rate (ODR) of less than 1%, a pre-fulfillment cancel rate of less than 2.5%, and a late shipment rate (LSR) of less than 4%
- You should have an itemized invoice with detailed contact information of the person supplying you.
- You might have to procure a letter from the product manufacturer or the brand owner, as the case may be. This is because some companies require approval direct from them before applying to Amazon.
- The product must comply with all federal and state laws and should already be listed on Amazon.
The ungating process is different for each brand, and you might discover that some brands are more difficult to ungate than others are.
Therefore, we have included a brief summary on some of the brands or categories that you might request to sell on Amazon.
Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
How To Get Ungated In Nike On Amazon
Nike is a big brand and one of the most sought-after gated brands on Amazon. Getting the approval to sell Nike comes with a lot of benefits. Nike is a popular brand, and so it will bring much-needed energy to new seller accounts and will eventually yield wide profit margins. Here are a few tips on how to get ungated on Nike not undermine customers’ trust in the platform.
- Your application should be made through your Amazon Professional seller account.
- You will need an invoice for at least ten products from an approved distributor that is dated less than 6 months from the date of application. This invoice should contain your name and address, which should match your selling profile. It should also have the distributor’s name and address.
- The invoice you use should be for at least 10 units of the same Nike products.
- ou must be getting your products from one of the approved Nike distributors. Ensure you carry out research before buying the products.
- Amazon should already have a list of the Nike products you want to sell, so check before purchasing.
How To Get Ungated In Lego On Amazon
Lego products are very popular on Amazon. However, they are one of the gated products, so you have to ungate the brand before you can start legitimately selling them on Amazon. Here are a few tips to help you with that.
- You must have a registered Amazon Seller Central account. If you have noticed, this is a recurring process for ungating many of the restricted categories on Amazon.
- You must have used your account for at least 2 months and have positive seller performance metrics. Amazon considers this requirement, so you can’t skip it.
- Buy at least 10 of the same Lego product listed on Amazon from an approved distributor and use the invoice during the application process.
- Get all your documentation ready. A list of the necessary documentation is given during the approval process.
How To Get Ungated In Beauty On Amazon
In the past, beauty products were gated on Amazon, and then suddenly and silently, Amazon ungated most of these products. However, it is still possible that you might face certain brands or subcategories that are gated on Amazon. Here are some ways to ensure they are ungated, and you can start selling.
- As usual, you will need an Amazon Seller Central before applying, and you should be actively selling on Amazon for a while.
- To sell ungated products, you must submit a manufacturer’s invoice that is not more than 180 days old.
- The FDA must have approved the products, and you will need to present proof of FDA registration during application.
- The products must be from registered distributors or brands to ensure they are not counterfeit
How To Get Ungated In Grocery On Amazon
Groceries are a big deal on Amazon because many people prefer to have them delivered than go to an actual store.Unfortunately, many grocery items are gated on Amazon, and for good reason. No-one wants to get sick from unknown food and handling that is less than superior.
Therefore, to sell these items, you need to get the products unlocked. So here are a few tips to help you ungate the grocery category on Amazon.
- Like the other categories we have mentioned, you will need an Amazon Seller Central Account to start your application
- You must purchase at least ten of the same grocery products from a qualified distributor. The product you buy must already be listed on Amazon. Use the invoice and pictures of the product during the application.
- The grocery products you sell should have expiration dates on the packaging. The packaging must be unopened and in its original from the manufacturer.
- Before buying anything, ensure that the grocery product you sell is permitted for sale and complies with all federal and state laws plus FDA regulations.
Amazon Health And Personal Care Approval
Amazon is very particular about sellers in the health and personal care category because they are looking out for the wellbeing of their consumers.
If rogue products are permitted on the platform, they might pose a serious threat to the user. To help you ungate this category, here are a few tips.
- You must get your product from a legitimate manufacturer. It would be best if you buy from a manufacturer in the United States.
- Purchase new products. Used products are not allowed in this category.
- You will need an invoice that shows that you have purchased at least 10 units of the product within 30 days.
- The products you intend to sell should be listed on Amazon with the manufacturer’s UPC.
Conclusion to Ungating Amazon Categories
While the process might seem like a hassle for some people, unlocking these brands and categories comes with numerous opportunities.
The fact that it may seem like a major hurdle means that many prospective sellers just won’t bother. That means for those that do take the time to do the research and follow the rules, they may reap the rewards, too.
In short, that means to expand your business, you might want to consider ungating Amazon categories.