Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
Learning how to get ungated on Amazon is certainly a step in the right direction to reach more customer engagement, traffic, and higher profits.
These are categories and brands that are closed off to the general selling public and only granted to selected ones who go through a rigorous vetting process to demonstrate their authenticity.
This helps Amazon maintain their good standing reputation, and the sellers themselves get some pretty nice benefits from it as well.
For example, getting ungated on Amazon to sell particular products or gated brands within those areas allows you to tap into a much more advancing market, all while showcasing to potential customers that you are a legit seller they can trust.
With the millions of products out there available to buy right now, this is a fundamental business leap you should highly consider taking if you genuinely want to take your business objective to new heightened levels.
Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
Gated Categories and Brands
When it comes to gated areas, the Amazon ecosystem is typically ever-changing and revising.
They are continually reviewing, adding, and altering their gated and ungated categories, all in an effort to keep the platform a smooth-running one.
To see a full list of gated brands, you can find that here. As for the categories, there are about 20 different restricted categories and subcategories that involve an approval process to access.
Some that have some level of restriction include:
- Automotive and Powersports
- Clothing, Accessories, Shoes, and Luggage
- Collectibles such as Books and Coins
- Entertainment and Sports Collectibles
- Gift Cards
- Fine Art
- Kindle Accessories
- Fine Jewelry
- Grocery/Gourmet Foods
- Sexual Wellness Products
- Textbook Rentals
- Video Media such as DVDs and Blu-ray
- Health Supplements
Getting Ungated on Amazon Categories Step by Step
Let’s say you found or made the perfect product that you want to sell on Amazon, but find out that you need approval to get started.
Before you deem your mission a lost cause, understand that the process to get ungated is a pretty straightforward one and worth the effort for the value you gain from accessing those areas.
To shed some light on what you can expect, here is a simple step by step of what you need to do to get the process started.
- The first thing you need to do is head over to your Seller Central homepage, go to your inventory, and select the “Add a Product” option.
- Look for the category needed to list your product, and when you see “Listing Limitations Apply,” click on “Request Approval” to start the application to that gated category.
- For the application, you will be asked a series of questions and asked to upload the necessary documentation. For instance, you must (if you haven’t already) sign up with a professional selling plan. Most restricted categories require this. Some other things they will look for depending on the product and category include:
> If you are in good standing
> Product invoices and other documentation (categories like Grocery and Gourmet Food require this)
> A questionnaire
> FDA approval
- Once you finish and submit, Amazon may come back and ask for more information. If not, they will do their part and review your application for approval or denial. For a bit more guidance, some sellers get approved within a few hours, and for others, it can take up to a week. Just be patient and know that your verdict will come when they thoroughly review your application.
Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
Getting Ungated on Amazon Brands Step by Step
If you have a brand you want to sell on Amazon that is restricted, the process to get ungated is a bit more complex than categories.
This also means it could be harder to overcome. People try to counterfeit products, steal items to resell, or sell a brand without their permission all the time, and this is a way to ensure that it does not happen on Amazon.
Regardless, if you have all the right permissions from the manufacturer and have maintained a good standing with Amazon (aka positive reviews and a history of following the Amazon rules and regulations), you should be fine.
For this one, the step by step process looks like this:
- The first thing you should have completed before entering the process is ensuring that the brand you want to list is brand registered under BR 2.0 and is also trademarked under USPTO. If you do not have this ready, then you will get denied instantly.
- Next, you will need to check to see if your Amazon ASINS brand is gated or not. You can do this by trying to add the product. If you get a notification that you need approval, then click the associated option labeled “Request Approval” to get the process going.
- You will then be instructed to enroll in the Amazon brand registry, which is where you will be able to showcase the necessary brand information to support your application request. If you have a lawyer, then have them work on this portion for you. This will ensure that everything is legally covered and also demonstrates to Amazon that you are taking the process very seriously, which can give you more brownie points to get approved.
- During this time, you should also make sure to provide Amazon any third-party names who are also eligible to sell the same brand. This is not mandatory, but you will want to include others who are selling the same product to avoid potential future conflicts. However, if you are the only one, then you can skip this altogether.
- The ungated Amazon brand process generally takes about 4 to 5 weeks to complete. They may ask for more information during the duration as well, which could make it last a bit longer. If you get approved, then you can proceed to sell the brand you were looking to display. If not, then read why you were denied, remediate with more documentation and/or polish your account as needed, and then try again.
Conclusion – Becoming Ungated Equates to More Success
Overall, learning how to get ungated on Amazon does require some strict steps and processes, and rightfully so.
Amazon wants to ensure that they are only offering those areas to the right sellers, ones who can deliver top quality products, exceptional customer service, and give their customers excellent experiences.
It also gives them and the customers peace of mind knowing that what they are buying from you does indeed hold real, intrinsic value and is not counterfeit, which was something that occurred a lot in the past before gated areas were established.
As a final note, it does not matter which category, brand, or product you wish to sell, getting ungated on Amazon in your respected industry is perfect for helping your business grow and reach much more long-term success.
As long as you are offering legal, quality-rich products and have the documentation to back up your claims, you should be able to apply and get approved to finally soak in the benefits too.
P.S. Even if you do have all the right qualifications to sell in your particular gated industry, understand that Amazon looks at this process from many different angles.
So, if you find that you get rejected the first time around (say you do not have enough reviews yet), then work on the parts you need to and try again.