How To Go About Selling Apple on Amazon
This is the second part in a our series on selling Apple products on Amazon.
If you recall in the first episode, we told you about the new regulations that were added in 2018. We discussed what they were, what happened, and what the new mandates meant for sellers.
Many people thought that when the decision was made by Apple and provided to Amazon that everyone was made to stop selling whether they were an existing seller or a new seller.
But is that the case today?
Let’s continue now to answer the question “Can I sell Apple products on Amazon?“
Want to get Ungated For Apple in a Hurry?
How To Sell Apple Products
Technically, you can still sell Apple products on Amazon, but you have to meet one out of two requirements.
1. You can sell Apple products on Amazon if you are willing to purchase refurbished inventory worth at least $2.5 million in 90 days.
You can purchase these products from Apple or patronize another retailer. However, the retailer you purchase from must also meet some requirements. They have to be making at least $5 billion in annual sales, or they should be big-box retailers.
This option sounds doable on the surface, but it is extremely hard for many retailers. First, most people do not have the wherewithal to make purchases worth $2.5 million every quarter. And even if they did, the likelihood of them finishing the order before the next quarter is very low. So most people do not bother taking the risk.
2. Another option is to become one of Apple’s authorized retailers on the platform. However, this might even be more difficult than the first option. One of the criteria is that you must have a physical retail space. This might not be practical, especially if you are just starting, as it might require extra capital that you do not necessarily have.
Apple also decides the products you are allowed to sell, and some fees must be paid to them. These are all restrictions that will discourage even the most zealous retailers.Even if you meet all their requirements, Apple might still decide not to approve your request. The key takeaway is that you need to be approved by Apple first.
Want help to get Ungated For Apple Products on Amazon?
What Should You Do Now?
If you still want to sell Apple products and cannot meet these requirements, you really should speak to us first before making any decision.
While it is true that many sellers faced with this choice decided to focus on selling through their private websites and other retail platforms like eBay, this can work to your advantage for two reasons.
1. It leaves less competition to deal with because all those sellers are gone. Plus, there are still products in the Apple brand category that you may be approved to sell.
2. Just because those sellers jumped ship does not mean they are having any easier time of selling. It should be noted that these platforms also have policies that might hinder you from selling Apple products, also.
Want to get Ungated in a Hurry?
Think of Selling Other Products
If you are one of those sellers that think selling Apple products is too much of a hassle, but still want to sell on Amazon because of the numerous advantages it offers, below are some alternatives.
Remember, though, there are plenty of other categories and brands that you can get approval to sell in, and we can help you with ungating the one of your choice.
Sell Private Label Products
Private label products are items made by third-party manufacturers that give you the right to brand their products as yours and sell them.
Not all manufacturers have the power that Apple has, so you can contact these brands, check if they offer private labeling, and if they do, ask to buy their products and retail for them.Private labeling is very lucrative, and even though it might not offer you the same advantages as selling Apple products, the cost of entry is much lower.
With private labeling, you get back some of the benefits the new Apple-Amazon policy took from you.
You gain control over production and distribution and regain control over the pricing of the products you sell.
All you have to do is find a manufacturer that produces the type of products you want to sell, submit your orders, and set up your Amazon catalog, then start selling.Private labeling might be a new field for you, so ensure that you do your research before you venture into it.
Want help to get Ungated on Amazon?
Think of Wholesale Products
An easier process, if you are not ready to try private labeling, is to try wholesale selling.
The advantages of this method include:
- You have a clearer idea of pricing. You set your own prices determined by market research on Amazon and other selling platforms.
- The product already has a market, so all you have to do is sell.
Wholesaling, however, does come with a few requirements.
- You need a wholesale license before you can try selling to the public at large.
- You need to build a strong relationship with the brands manufacturing these products.
- Pricing will be determined by the marketplace and how well you can negotiate with the manufacturer.
- You need to find brands that do not require a high minimum order requirement.
Can you sell Apple products on Amazon? The answer is yes, as long as you are willing to meet their requirements.
These requirements result from an agreement by Apple and Amazon meant to deter counterfeit items, and to allow both platforms to provide their users with better customer service.
You can apply to become an authorized Apple retailer on Amazon, but your selection will be mandated by Apple.
Even if you get selected, details like pricing are still under Apple’s control.
But if you are willing to put in the time and research needed, the marketplace could make this well worth your efforts.