One thing that makes Amazon most loved by online shoppers and entrepreneurs is they always have a way to improve their customers’ experience and provide entrepreneurs with new ways of making money.
One of these ways is Amazon Renewed program. A section that provides users with barely used items, refurbished goods, and pre-owned.
You might have heard of Amazon renewed before and wondered what it is.
Therefore, this guide will discuss the latest Amazon offerings, the requirements to sell on the program, and the differences between the products you can sell there.
What is Amazon Renewed?
Amazon Renewed is a program that allows vendors to market and sell their preowned, refurbished, and out-of-the-box goods at a discount rate.
Before approving the products, Amazon thoroughly checks their quality to ensure they’re in near new condition.
And, before becoming an Amazon renewed vendor, you must meet their performance bar: having your products tested and verified to look and work like new items.
Only after then, the product will undergo a refurbishment process which usually includes tests, the substitution of impaired parts, cleaning, and repackaging.
However, not every product is qualified to be auctioned in the Amazon Renewed Program. Products from these categories though, can be included:
- Automobile parts
- Home and industrial equipment
- Desktop computers and laptops
- Outdoor and sports equipment
- Television sets
- Phones and Tablets
- Video game consoles and watches
- Musical instruments, audio sets, and headphones
- Office equipment
- Home and kitchen appliances
What are Amazon Renewed Products?
Amazon renewed products are those items that have either been owned, used, or refurbished.
While many think these terms are the same, they’re different. Let’s look at these terms, compare them, and see the differences.
What are Used Goods?
A used item on Amazon Renewed is something that the owner has used only a few times, and it’s still in good condition.
The item functions fully but may have minor imperfections, which require thorough inspection and repackaging.
Amazon has categorized used items into these four classes:
- Used Like New – This is a used good in perfect condition. It functions well, and all its accessories are intact. However, the package may have been damaged from opening.
- Used Very Good – A used item in excellent condition that has been used for a limited number of times and still functions fully. It may have a damaged package and some accessories missing.
- Used Good – An item that has been used moderately and has started to show wear and tear. It may come with some minor cosmetic imperfections and may be missing some valuable accessories.
- Used Acceptable – This item has a clear sign it has been used frequently but still functions. These used items usually have cosmetic damages and are missing accessories that you must buy separately before they can function well.
Examples of used products on Amazon Renewed include books, devices, automotive, cameras, home, gardening tools, industrial equipment, computers, sports equipment, and musical instruments.
What are Pre Owned Items?
Pre-owned items on Amazon are products and devices that were likely used but were in good condition when returned.
When an item is tagged pre-owned on Amazon, it has been sold to a customer, used, and then returned.
Most of these items have minor cosmetic defects that Amazon will take care of before putting them back on the site.
Before approving a pre-owned item, Amazon performs a vigorous multi-step process on it from a full diagnostic test, cleaning, and inspection, and if it’s a device, it will be updated to the recent software available.
Items that can be found in the Amazon Pre-owned section include Amazon devices such as Kindle e-readers, echo, fire tablets as well as automotive parts, and household appliances.
What are Refurbished Goods?
Refurbished goods are those that have been purchased and are likely used by the customer. But they were sent back to the manufacturer because of some faults or simply because the customer doesn’t want them.
These products are fixed by Amazon, repaired, cleaned up, and tested to ensure they’re in perfect condition. Since the product has been sold previously, it wouldn’t be priced as new; rather, the retailer will list it at a discount.
Examples of refurbished items on Amazon include smartphones, computers, industrial tools, fitness trackers, headphones, office equipment, gardening tools, sewing machine, power drills, generators, digital antennas, radar detectors, and home and kitchen appliances.
What is the Difference Between Used, Pre-Owned, and Refurbished Items?
You might have noticed that some items are refurbished or used while others are labeled pre-owned on Amazon.
While these terms seem to mean the same to buyers, there are some differences.
Used items are typically items the owner has used several times, might have some cosmetic defects, and are missing some accessories but functioning well.
Pre-owned items that have been returned and are put back on the shelf. These goods are usually in perfect condition but might be missing some minor accessories and need a new repackaging.
On the other hand, refurbished items are the ones that have been returned, thoroughly inspected, fixed, and put up for sale. Usually, refurbished items are returned due to some issues. Therefore, the manufacturer will fix these issues and repackage them for resale at a discount.
Requirements for Selling on the Amazon Renewed Program
If you’re interested in becoming an Amazon Renewed Vendor, here are the steps to follow:
- Register to become a seller on Amazon
- Show you’re qualified to sell products on Amazon Renewed by demonstrating your experience of selling such items
- Provide invoices showing a minimum of $50,000 in qualifying for purchasing renewed items in the previous 90 days
- Start selling and grow your refurbished items business
Selling on Amazon Renewed has a lot of advantages. There is opportunity to grow your business by selling to thousands of amazon’s loyal customers.
Also, it’s an exclusive program with limited competition. You can check out the Amazon website to learn more about selling used, pre-owned, and refurbished items on Amazon renewed.